|Theme subject||Consumer themes||Carer themes||Similarities||Differences|
|Assessment, diagnosis, and intervention.||The need to improve the assessment and diagnosis process.||The importance of carer involvement in early assessment and intervention.||• Consumers and carers described the importance of providing information to consumers when a diagnosis is given.||
• Consumers described the potential helpfulness of receiving appropriate treatment options and referral information at diagnosis.|
• Carers described the importance of carer involvement in assessment, diagnosis, and intervention.
• Carers described the importance of early assessment and intervention.
Mental health professional’s understanding of personality disorder,|
communication between professionals, and continuity of care.
The need to improve communication between mental health professionals to ensure continuity of care.|
Challenges and successes finding a mental health professional who understands personality disorder.
|Increasing mental health professionals’ understanding of personality disorders and improving communication.||
• Consumers and carers described the importance of professionals communicating with one another to better understand the consumer and provide continuity of care.|
• Consumers and carers suggested improving training for mental health professionals to increase understanding of personality disorder.
• Consumers and carers described receiving stigmatizing responses from mental health professionals.
• Consumers described the value of finding a mental health professional that they can connect with.|
• Consumers described the benefit of having a long term relationship with a mental health professional.
• Consumers described the importance of other professionals listening to their private psychologist’s advice.
|Services and responses for consumers experiencing a crisis.||Increasing feelings of safety when consumers are experiencing a crisis.||Improving responses and follow-up when consumers present in crisis.||
• Consumers and carers described receiving compassionate treatment and some inappropriate treatment from first responders.|
• Consumers and carers described how the emergency department was often not a safe environment for consumers.
• Consumers described the potential benefit of providing alternative safe places that they could access when feeling distressed.|
• Carers described how consumers and carers are not provided sufficient information or support following presentation to acute care services.
|Expanded treatment options, and service accessibility.||Providing expanded treatment options and increasing service accessibility.||
Improving accessibility and quality of services for consumers.|
Improving support for carers.
• Consumers and carers described insufficient availability and quality of services for consumers.|
• Consumers and carers described how offering peer support to consumers may be beneficial.
• Consumers described the potential benefit of providing options such as creative or animal-assisted therapy.|
• Carers described difficult experiences supporting a consumer with personality disorder and suggested increased support for carers.